everything atkins forums

The place for Atkins Dieters!
It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:45 pm
  • Search this Forum| Home | Atkins Phases | |Atkins Sample Menus | Why the Scale Lies

• Custom Search
  • View your posts
  • FAQ
  • Register
  • Login

• All times are UTC - 6 hours

• Search
    • Home
    • Atkins Phases
    • Atkins Sample Menus

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:50 pm 
    Frequent Contributor

And came upon this information regarding an article by Hope Warshaw. She is a "nutritionist" who wrote an article for the American Diabetes Association.

http://www.diabeteshealth.com/read/2011 ... ---part-2/

Basically stating that diabetics should still eat 50% of their calories in carbs! What a crock.

Anyhow, that lead me to this interesting article which digs in to finding out just who funds the ADA. Oi Vey and Kavetch! It's enough to make someone go crazy.

http://healthylowcarbliving.com/junk-sc ... et-kettle/

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:07 pm 
    Active Contributor

It does make you crazy reading what these so called professionals are preaching ](*,)
    If they would just study the facts and do a little research, they would realize that at the rate we are going, the onset of diabetes is going to continue to hit more and more people. But then they know that the medications for diabetes and high blood pressure are big money makers for the medical profession. I also think that many TV shows are doing a big disservice to the general population. the Biggest Loser is great for the people who lose weight and keep it off, but the cookbooks, recipes and recommendations for viewers are mainly low fat, high carb foods and recipes. Dr. Oz - same thing. And as for Oprah, she has Bob Greene as her diet consultant. The low fat diet seems to work fine for him, but Oprah is someone who would benefit greatly from low carb, I think. Everybodys body is different and what is good for one person, may not be good, in fact it may be harmful, for someone else. I just get so sick of everybody, from doctors offices to workplaces and schools pushing the low fat diet on everyone. Can't they see it is not working!!!

*When life gives you 100 reasons to cry, show life that you have 1000 reasons to smile!*

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:15 pm 
    Frequent Contributor

I have been hypoglycemic for decades. I do not have any problems when I low carb. I feel better when I low carb. I have tummy problems when I don't low carb. I have no tummy isssues when I low carb. Why I stray is beyond me.

I do believe there are many "cures" for many things that are relatively simple but big companies do not want the word out lest they won't sell all their high priced medicines. I'm also a believer that one pill leads to another, to another, etc.

My DH suffered with an ulcer for many, many years. He was a poster child for taking ulcer meds. One day I happened upon an article in the Reader's Digest that suggest an antibiotic treatment plus bismuth. I showed it to our family doctor who shrugged and said it wouldn't hurt to try it. DH did and never had a problem with his ulcers again. I cannot begin to tell you how many people won't give it at try, convinced that they have to keep taking their medication, avoiding foods, etc because they won't listen to an alternative way of treating. Such is the same with the medical community and low carbing.

Restarted January 5 2009

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:59 pm 
    Frequent Contributor

Great post Donna, very informative. I too have no problem with low carb living, it suits me and my body to the hilt.

Because you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a soldier.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:32 am 
    Frequent Contributor

It just makes me sick that there is such an agenda attached to money when it comes to the populations' health.

It also makes me sick how doctors are trained (one admitted it to my DH) to just look at a set of symptoms and prescribe a drug. Period. No further investigation. I think my MIL is on 6 different drugs.

4me...same here. I have little to no indigestion when I eat lowcarb. I wonder why carbs give people indigestion?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:15 am 
    Frequent Contributor

And no flatulence either :D

Because you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a soldier.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:48 am 
    Frequent Contributor

Jim..ha-ha..which I'm sure your wife appreciates!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:44 am 

I read a whole blog earlier on anti-Atkins and some guy named Taubes who was purported to have misrepresented a legion of medical doctors and/or dieticians and what it looks like Taubes was saying was that low-fat diets just don't work.

The medical community is quoted to have gone through great lengths to undermine Atkins...

Now... I was a kid growing up who was thin only 137 very lean/muscular pounds at 18. At 19 I got my leg broke and it slowed me down. By 21 or 22 I had had a total of 3 surgeries where I had to re-learn to walk. I gained weight up to about 180 pounds or so. I worked out and used slim-fast and I got back to 140 pounds or so after about 45-60 days or so and 4-5 hours of day of rigorous exercise.

Now I'm in IT and I sit for hours at a time and needless to say I gain weight from being sedentary and I'll admit to binge eating, snacks, sodas, excess sugar all around, and most of my meals were rice/potato/bread/etc.

Here's my own observances on the matter of low-fat diets:

1. I got and stayed hungry and therefore ate more and more.
    2. I ate more, got heavier, and got lazier.
    3. Did I mention that I was always and I mean always hungry?

In any event, just reading the snippets from Taubes - I think we both came to the same conclusion - low fat diets tend to make us think we can eat more, make more excuses for ourselves since we are starving, and quite frankly the absence of fat also is the absence of satiety or the feeling of not being hungry.

I started out just a few days past on the 17th and I've not been hungry yet. I'm not even eating a lot of bacon or very visible fatty meats or other foods really aside from some sour cream I use at Chipolte to cool their very "hot/spicy" meats.

I feel great, I am losing weight well, and I am tolerating the carnivore lifestyle quite well so far and to me it is mostly the way I lived when I was younger. So it feels quite natural to my senses.

I'm now adding some spinach, salads, and turnip greens in a few days but plan to stay on induction for quite a while if I can and I think I can. I love meat, chicken, and fish and I've learned to eat a few veggies along the way over the years.

I was surprised at the number of experts clamoring to low-fat and high carb diets. I understand the benefits, but the USA where I live is a very obese nation and the doctors forgot to mention that it's the cause of the most the deaths...