Powered by ® Forum Software © phpBB Group  
Everything Atkins  

• Search
  • Home
  • Atkins Phases
  • Atkins Sample Menus

Post subject: Male doing Kimkins
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:16 pm 

I have Lost 30 pounds in twenty six days on it doing the Boot Camp version of her diet. It is no frills and it's pretty much meat, water, and lettuce but after 3 days I lost my appetite except for a few minutes before I eat.

Also, I have always been one of those aggressive people that would get up in your face quick but that went away and I think it was all because of the insulin spikes. Once I get to weight I plan to eat this way for the rest of my life. This is the happiest I have been in 30 years.

So now at 300 pounds I am getting along very nicely on 700-750 cals perday and about 80 grams of protein.

I also did pay the full price for it so if anyone has a question that they can't find an answer for I will post it over there and try to find you an answer.

The only reason I am here is because of the Off Topic questions. They don't have fun overthere. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:10 pm 
Frequent Contributor

Back in the 70's or 80's we had a version of this called the "Water Diet." It was basically just protein and water ... nothing else, not even lettuce.

I remember that it fell out of grace because people were getting sick on it. Kidney problems if I remember correctly.

If you're doing OK, fine, but I felt I should give you that info.

234.5/*219.2/212/149 (Low was 168.5) 64, 5"1"
DH 221/*211/205/?? 66, 5'10"
* As of 7/1/2011, we first started 8/23/03

"What would Jimmy Buffet Do?"
Search for "gooch47" to view my videos on www.youtube.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:00 pm 

Not seeing any sign of it and I have not seen it mentioned over there. If I remember correctely the older diets told you to eat all the protein that you wanted. On the version that I am on the protein isn't that high.

I willl do a search over there and see what I fiind.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:47 pm 

The only thing I could find was people being told by friends that high protein would cause renal failure and kidney problems. This diet definitely is not High protein. I would say I am eating about half as much as I was before so I should have had problems then.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:45 pm 
Frequent Contributor

MJ..I remember the diets that Gooch was talking about. The protein levels were really high..and not many if any veggies.

If you are eating a good quality lettuce and drinking plenty of water for the kidneys, I don't thinkyou will have problems.

exercise is NOT AN OPTION

"Muscle is hard to get and easy to lose.
Fat is easy to get and hard to lose."

F54 5'4" 163/150/130

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:21 pm 
Frequent Contributor

That's true. I don't believe there was any limit on the amount of meat or eggs or whatever you could eat.

I know nothing about the kim<whatever> thing, so I didn't realize that protein was limited.

234.5/*219.2/212/149 (Low was 168.5) 64, 5"1"
DH 221/*211/205/?? 66, 5'10"
* As of 7/1/2011, we first started 8/23/03

"What would Jimmy Buffet Do?"
Search for "gooch47" to view my videos on www.youtube.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:50 pm 

Bassically she has three tiers and in the first two the calories are still pretty low about 1400.

I have a lot to lose becasuse of a crazy doctor who misdiagnosed me with all kinds of heart problems so I jumped into the hardest tier.

As for the heart problem, there was nothing wrong. Long story...always get a second opinion.

It realy was like my body was just waiting for this diet.

It was called Kimmers or kimmers experiment when she started it but now it is called Kimkins in an attempt to name it after her and atkins. kim-kins

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:39 am 
Frequent Contributor

I'd like to know more about it. I'd like to push to get under 200 (I'm at 217 today) before school starts on Aug 13.

That would be 18 lbs in one month, which from the stories on her website, seems possible.

I workout 5-6 days a week and often twice a day.

So, what can you tell me about Kimkins? I thought about actually joining today.

Dec 1, 2006: 275 lbs
Dec 8, 2007: 185 lbs
Jan 1, 2010: 227 lbs

246/167/155

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:45 am 

Teechah, sorry I couldn't quote to you something about I do't have enough posts and there is some code or something??
I would say that since you are already in ketoisis you could jump right into the boot camp version of the diet and probably do it.
You are just going to have to believe that after about 3 to 5 days your appetite really will go away.

This is about it as far as the diet if you come up wiht a specific question ask it. the only thing you get when you join is access to the forums for support and friendship.
-----------------------------------------------------

Kimkins is purposely designed as a very simple and extremely effective weight loss plan! There's no complicated rules, formulas or food combinations. You aren't forced to read hundreds of pages to find what you need.

Listed below are the guidelines for each Kimkins Diet option. That's it! Pick the one you like, follow the easy rules exactly and enjoy fast weight loss! KIMKINS DIET
The original Kimkins Diet

As much lean protein as desired from the Kimkins Food List
0-20 total carbs per day(no fiber or sugar alcohol subtraction)
0-3 cups List 1 veggies per day OR
0-2 cups List 1 veggies + 0-1 cup List 2 veggies per day
Use minimal fat to make your menu work (careful, calories count!)
No alcohol or low carb products (sugar free candy, energy bars, ice cream, frozen meals)
Your appetite will reduce naturally after 3-5 days
Take a complete multivitamin each day plus other desired supplements

KIMMER EXPERIMENT (K/E)
K/E is used to reach ketosis quickly or as a jumpstart for other Kimkins Options

As much lean protein as desired from the Kimkins Food List
Minimal low-carb condiments and spices may be used sparingly
No alcohol, no cheese, no fatty meats, no fats, no veggies
Your appetite will drop naturally after 3-5 days
You may remain on K/E as long as desired

KIMKINS BOOT CAMP

The most popular Kimkins Option!
30 minutes of intense daily exercies required

Breakfast
Up to 2 eggs (cooked without fat)
Up to 1/2 cup List 2 veggies
Up to 2 oz lean ham or other lean protein (raw/cured weight)
Unlimited non-calorie beverage

Lunch
Up to 4 oz lean protein (raw weight)
Up to 2 cups mixed greens + Wishbone Spritzer dressing (or caloric equivalent)

Dinner
Up to 4 oz lean protein (raw weight)
Up to 2 cups mixed greens + Wishbone Spritzer dressing (or caloric equivalent)

VEGETARIAN OPTION
Vegetarian products have higher carbs so a calorie limit is suggested
Aim for no more than 1000 calories per day

Daily Limits

0-20 total carbs from all sources, no fiber subtraction
0-3 servings of protein substitutes including tofu, eggs, egg substitutes, protein powders
0-2 servings of higher carb choices including tempeh, Gardenburger and Boca products
0-2 servings of dairy choices including yogurt, soft cheese, hard cheese
0-3 cups of List 1 veggies
0-1 cups of List 2 veggies

Use minimal fat for cooking
Unlimited non-calorie beverages
A serving is per the product label
Use low calorie salad dressings and "light" butter substitutes (no trans fats)
Due to higher carbs in vegetarian products, appetite reduction may not occur

MEAL REPLACEMENT SHAKE OPTION
Designed for convenience, automatic portion control and error proof

Up to 800 calories per day
Up to 16 total carbs per day
Up to 80 protein grams per day 0-4 RTD (Ready-to-Drink) meal replacements shakes per day or
0-4 homemade protein shakes per day (15+ grams protein per shake)

RTD shakes should not exceed 200 calories and 4 carbs each
Protein powder should not exceed 200 calories and 4 carbs per serving
Protein powder may be mixed with any very low calorie beverage
Do not use milk for mixing protein powder
You may prefer to have 2 shake meals + 1 Kimkins food meal for variety

Last edited by MJ on Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:00 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:47 am 

KIMKINS FOODS GUIDELINES

LEAN PROTEIN
Bake, boil, broil, grill, poach, roast, steam, nonstick spray

Eggs

Save fat calories by mixing 2 egg whites + 1 whole egg for scrambles or omelettes
Choose low fat cooking methods and low fat mayonnaise to cut calories
Eggbeaters are excellent

Chicken & Turkey

Choose any fresh or frozen poultry that is not breaded
Remove the skin before cooking
White meat is lower in fat, but dark meat is fine
Rotisserie chicken may be allowed, beware of injected marinades
Duck and goose are fatty choices, enjoy as a rare treat and remove skin

Fish & Seafood

Choose any type, non-breaded
Choose water-packed canned tuna or crab
Shellfish has carbs so figure them into your daily carb totals
Shrimp should be prepared without butter sauces
Use low carb sauces very sparingly

Pork & Lamb

Choose tenderloin, cutlets, extra lean ham or Canadian bacon
Trim all visible fat
Bacon and Sausage should be very occasional treats
Turkey bacon or chicken sausage are better low calorie choices

Beef

Beef should be eaten rarely for fastest weight loss results
Even the leanest cut is 30% fat by calories
Choose cuts labeled “round”, “tenderloin”, “flank” or “London broil”
Trim all visible fat

Game

Venison, bear, elk, bison, ostrich and buffalo are excellent lean protein choices!
Cook by any low fat method listed above

VEGETABLES

List 1

All lettuces
Alfalfa sprouts
Bok choy
Celery
Cucumber
Endive
Fennel
Fresh herbs
Mixed salad greens
Mushrooms
Radishes
Spinach (raw)
List 2

Artichoke hearts
Asparagus
Bean sprouts
Broccoli
Brussels sprouts
Cabbage
Cauliflower
Chinese pea pods
Courgettes
Cooked greens
Eggplant
Garlic
Green beans
Leeks
Okra
Onion
Peppers
Snow pea pods
Summer squash
Tomato
Turnips
Zucchini
List 3

Maintenance Choices

Beets
Carrots
Corn
Fruit
Garbanzo beans
Hominy
Lima beans
Peas
Potatoes
Pumpkin
Rhubarb
Winter squash

MEAL REPLACEMENTS & SNACKS
No other substitutions!
Low carb protein shakes (1-4 carbs) as a meal replacement
Stallone brand protein pudding as a meal replacement
Dannon Carb & Sugar Control yogurt (3 carb brand, limit 1 per day)
Part skim string cheese (limit 1 per day)
Sugar free gelatin (limit 4 oz per day, no whipped topping)
Homemade or purchased sugar free popsicle

BEVERAGES
Unlimited!
Water (plain, flavored, mineral, anything 0 calorie)
Coffee & Teas (artificial sweeteners OK, no regular creamers)
0 Calorie Energy Drinks
Crystal Light
Diet soft drinks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:54 am 

The First 2 Weeks

Kimkins is a lean low carb plan.

If you're an experienced low carber, you'll be familiar with the usual body changes that occur during the first couple of weeks. If you're new to low carb, here's a few tips to guide you. Low carb diets work much differently (and much faster) than traditional diets due to thermogenic effects, with Kimkins working fastest of all.

We wish to thank Kimkins member, Chelli Sage, for her wonderful idea of compiling some of the most common questions that members may have in the first 2 weeks:

How do I know which Kimkins Diet to choose?

There's 1 basic Kimkins diet which produces very good weight loss, plus 4 options. Choose whichever fits your weight goal requirements:

Kimkins: Lean protein & low carb veggies, minimal fat

Kimmer Experiment (K/E): Lean protein only, no veggies, minimal fat

Kimkins Boot Camp: Specific small portions, minimal fat, required daily cardio
Kimkins Shake Option: Portion controlled, covers basic protein requirement plus vitamins
Kimins Vegetarian Option: Slightly higher carbs, slightly slower weight loss

Can I modify the Kimkins Food Lists?

Please don't. If it's not the list, don't eat or drink it! Remember that Kimkins is a lean low carb plan. The #1 reason for slow weight loss is "modifying". High calorie items that may appear on other low carb diets are not allowed on Kimkins, including chicken wings, pork rinds, beef jerky, peanut butter, liberal cheese, cream and cream cheese.

Kimkins does not allow subtraction of fiber or sugar alcohols. Do not eat foods with sugar alcohols. They are identified on ingredient lists as having an -itol" extension like "sorbitol" or "maltitol".

How do I use the Kimkins Grocery List?

Print out the handy grocery list to keep you on track during shopping. You'll find you tend to shop the perimeter of the store for Kimkins foods. The focus should be on fresh foods as much as possible, and less on prepared/prepackaged items.

What's the best way to start Kimkins?

Pick the Kimkins Diet you prefer. Boot Camp is the most difficult and may be best after 2 weeks on Kimkins or K/E when appetite is naturally reduced.

Plan your menu for 7 full days and write it down. You can get sample menus from the website or simply design your own.

Get rid of the junk food in the house. Your kids don't need that stuff either -- there's nothing wrong with a fresh fruit bowl to offer as a snack. Have an uncooperative spouse? Ask them to keep them junk food locked or in their car.

Read "How Emily Does Kimkins" for tips on prepping & cooking a week of Kimkins meals in 30-60 minutes -- and think of the time you'll save.

Follow the steps in "Getting Started!" and take full advantage of the support and resources at Kimkins. Studies have shown that dieters with support lose more weight and faster.

What is this about "ketosis" and isn't it dangerous?

Ketosis is a natural state your body enters when you severely restrict carb intake. Carbs are your bodies preferred energy source. Our problem is that we ate too many carbs for our bodies to use, so the excess (plus the extra protein & fat) got stored as fat.

Usually around day 3-5 of beginning the Kimkins Diet, you'll begin to enter "ketosis". You'll begin to notice some or all of the ketosis symptoms which include headache, fatigue, sleeplessness, nausea and/or mental fog. These are usually short lived lasting 2-3 days, although the nausea or sleeplessness may last longer.

Do not confuse "ketosis" with "ketoacidosis". Ketoacidosis is a dangerous condition that can occur in Type 1 diabetics and requires immediate medical intervention.

The two terms sound similar and people often confuse them -- including doctors. Keep in mind that most doctors aren't savvy about low carb beyond the idea of restricting them. If you mention "ketosis" to your physician and you get a blank stare, weigh their low carb advice carefully. Better yet, look around for a carb-aware medical provider.

How fast will I lose weight?

I'm always happy to look into my crystal ball and give weight loss projections!

For sure you'll lose faster with Kimkins than with any other diet, even after factoring in personal characteristics including age, personal natural metabolism, height, current weight, sex and body type.

Men lose faster than women, morbidly obese faster than 20-pounds-to-goers, tall faster than short, muscular faster than small boned, younger faster than older -- duh!

If you follow the Kimkins diet exactly, without "modifications" or cheats, you can expect to lose a minimum of 5% of your total body within the first 10 days!

Long term weight loss falls within 3-7 lbs a week, depending on the above individual factors. Way better than that typical "1-2 pound a week" mantra!

Why do we restrict carbs? What's wrong with eating all food in smaller quantities?

It's important to understand the absolute order in which your body uses food energy:

Alcohol, then
Carbs, then
Protein, then
Dietary fat, then ... maybe
Body fat
If you overeat in any early category, then latter categories don't get used as energy and are stored as body fat.

Alcohol is processed almost instantly. In fact, if you take a sip of hard alcohol like vodka and hold it in your mouth for 10 seconds, trace amounts of alcohol can be measured in your blood in 30 seconds. This is why alcohol botches weight loss, unless you do something silly like not eating to save your calories for booze. Come on.

As an example, if your body needs 2000 calories to maintain it's current weight and you drink 800 calories in alcohol drinks like rum & cola, plus 500 calories in carb snacks like chips and pretzels, and dinner later of a steak, baked potato & corn, it's processed like this:

Alcohol in rum
Carbs in cola
Carbs in chips & pretzels
Fat in chips & pretzels
Carbs in potato, corn, steak sauce
Protein in steak (trace amounts in potato & corn)
Fat in steak, butter or sour cream for potato and corn
At any time while your body is processing food in the above order -- and you don't need those calories -- they are immediately set aside for processing for body fat.

Keeping the 2000 calorie requirement in our hypothetical case, let's say they decide to have bacon, eggs, coffee & a waffle with syrup for breakfast. The food is processed in this order:

Carbs in waffle, syrup & sugar for coffee (trace in bacon, coffee, cream and egg)
Protein in egg & bacon
Fat in egg, bacon, cream (and butter if used on the waffle)
At 8 am our hypothetical person only needs about 400 calories and this breakfast easily tops 900 so the unneeded 500 calories is slated for body fat. Now, if this person has lunch at a much later time then their body has a chance to use those extra 500 calories -- well, before being saddled with the lunch calories, and dinner.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:33 pm 
Frequent Contributor

Is there a daily calorie limit?

I'm thinking about doing the boot camp. Turns out, I've been doing my own version of the meat/egg thing for a week or two.

246/167/155

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:35 pm 
Frequent Contributor

Is there a low carb Wishbone spritzer?

246/167/155

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:55 pm 

The fact that you only get 4 ounces of meat per meal sets a calorie limit for you . If you use the rule of thumb for meat it is about 50 to 55 calories per ounce so it come out to about 200 to 220 per meal. It sets it's on limit in other words.

The spritzers that I use French and Red wine have 1 and 2 carbs so it kinda works out with the stay under 5 grams of carbs perday limit.